May 6, 2013

Purpose

In college, I studied theatre (a decision I am still 100% happy I made), and during our senior seminar class we learned how to write mission statements. One of my favorite assignments for the seminar and something that had a great impact on me long-term, was writing out my personal mission statement as an artist.

Last week, I was chatting with some amazing women from all over the world on Twitter (we 'party' over social media every Thursday night while we wait for Lisa-Jo Baker to post our Five Minute Friday prompt). I genuinely have been feeling pretty stuck recently as a writer/blogger, so I asked these other ladies how they find time to blog (knowing that some are stay-at-home mamas like me, some are full-time working moms, work from home mamas, homeschooling mamas, married and working full time, single and working full time, full time bloggers, full time students, etc. etc. etc. aka any/none of the above and we're all busy but HOW do we find time to write in our busy days??). Some of my friends offered very practical advice, and we laughed about recording our posts in the car or on walks, and people shared helpful sites and tips, but one fellow chatter shared with me the following challenge/question:
You know I really think it comes down to what yr motivation is for blogging.
I stopped in my tracks.

For almost a full year I've been writing in this little space, and I've thought about the question, but I've never sat down and forced myself to put my thoughts into clear, prayerful words. Why do I put these words down here? What is my motivation for blogging?

I process the big things (and the small) through writing. I love to write in my journal, explore poetry and play-writing, and write out my prayers whenever I'm able to take the time. But in this space, I process and share according to the following four purposes:

1. Finding joy in the simple things in life (whether that is through the simple things series, the little adventures series, my 25 in 25 bucket list, or just sharing exciting moments here on the farm with the family)
2. Storytelling and creative writing (five minute free writes on Fridays, stories about grocery shopping with my little buddy, or letters written out of love)
3. Learning ways to incorporate creativity (an essential part of who I am) into my current season (whether through adventures in cooking/baking, pictures of new papercutting projects, or a DIY project every once in a while)
4. Sharing authentic pieces of my journey with others (motherhood, faith, identity, depression, theatre, marriage, friendship, dreams, community, growth)

This was a really helpful exercise for me, as I look back on the past year as 'Mama Bird' and as I get ready to make some exciting changes in this place where we meet.

If you're a blogger/writer, have you ever asked yourself what your motivation is for blogging? If so, what are your thoughts? If you haven't written down a mission statement or purpose for your blog, I'd highly recommend it. It's been a very reaffirming exercise and has helped me to refocus and get back on track of why I really want to be writing (at least here at 'My Little Bird').

Thanks for walking through this year of me figuring out my purpose and place in the blogging world, and for following along with the adventures so far!

10 comments:

  1. Fantastic post - love how you've narrowed your purpose down to four 'strands' and I can see them working really well together. You're really very clever you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Fiona! And thank you for inspiring this ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh love this! My purpose for my blog has been changing this year as God molds me, I feel it's great to always look at why we write! Love your purpose awesome!!! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! You're such an encourager and always make me smile! I think it's really neat too, how our blog's purpose can change as God brings us into different seasons. But I think you're right that it's always good to take a step back and look at why we're writing! Love ya!

      Delete
  3. Great post, girlie. I guess I don't have a mission statement written down, but it is a mission I pray about often. It is my constant prayer that God uses the blog as a jumping point, so that his hope and grace can be seen through me. I just pray that others find that hope, and a little piece when they read it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your mission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcy! I love your prayer, and need to keep remembering to be praying over these posts in a similar way too.

      Delete
  4. Great post friend. I'm a little like Jen and Marcy. So many changes happening internally that are fleshing themselves out on the blog. This is something I need to revisit as I'm making changes. I'm starting to work through Intentional Blogging and I'm sure it will be transformational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm not sure I know what Intentional Blogging is, but I would love to hear more about that and how it is going for you so far. I love the point that you, Jenn and Marcy brought up about how your blog's mission/purpose can be transformed as God works in you.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it wonderful how so many of the things we learned in theatre transfer over to blogging...and life in general? I ended up doing a similar mission statement type exercise when my blog migrated from Wordpress.com to Wordpress.org in late February. It was a real time of reflection for me, and I've referred back to that entry in my journal many times since then to re-center. And I look forward to revamping that mission statement many times in the future. Surely, my mission will grow and change as I do.

    And how can I join in this Twitter chat? Sounds absolutely wonderful! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed about theatre seeping into every part of our lives, Lauren ;) It's pretty amazing actually! I actually started reading your blog right when you were in the middle of that transition a few months ago, and I loved reading about the process. I actually am working on a similar project right now (switching blog sites) and it really helps to step back and look at things from a fresh perspective/new angle. And like a few of the friends above, I think it's so wise to realize that our mission in writing grows and changes with us. Something good for me to remember.

      And YES, please join us on Thursday! We start chatting anytime after about 9:30/10 (but it usually really picks up around 10:30 I'd say) and everyone just chats as long as they're able until Lisa-Jo posts the prompt for Five Minute Friday. We use the hashtag #fmfparty and it is such an uplifting community. If your teaching schedule allows you to stay up that late once a week, it'd definitely be worth it!!!

      Delete