May 3, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Brave

Today I'm joining Lisa-Jo Baker for Five Minute Friday, where we write for five minutes flat and join in a chorus of raw, honest writing around her one-word prompts. Today, we write about 'brave.' Will you join us? Head on over to Lisa-Jo's blog and link-up!  

A few months ago, we were visiting some great friends in Baltimore, surrounded and feeling loved, and I took Emmett to the bathroom to get him ready for bed. I drew the water while he sat next to me, happily talking and chirping to himself. I went to reach for him to take off his onesie and put him in the bath, and there he was, putting one hand in front of the other, and then one knee and then the next, and he was crawling. Just like that in the Jefferies' bathroom. So far away from home. When I least expected it, and from the look on his face, when he least expected it too. I called for my husband and we celebrated this milestone. Crawling. Our baby boy.

He quickly graduated to pulling up on the soft green arm chair in our living room, and cruising along the leather couch, and eventually, standing with his two chubby feet planted on the hardwood floors and using his arms to keep him balanced.

In the past two weeks, Emmett took his first steps. Just baby steps (literally), and he never does more than a few at a time, but it's HUGE. We're so proud of him, and so excited for how he is growing and learning, and I am in awe. I know it's part of the natural development of a child who is able, to learn how to do this thing we all take for granted (putting one foot in front of the other and just walking), but it's had me thinking a lot in these past several days.

I spent so long after Emmett was born stuck. Wanting so badly to pull myself up and GO, but feeling confused about how to put one foot in front of the other and just move. I watch Emmett and crave his bravery. This has been a season of telling myself to pull myself off from the floor and say, Heather, I know you can do it girl. You don't have to run today. Let's just plan on trying to put one foot in front of the other.

Can I tell you something? I think it's working... With prayer, and new opportunities, and springtime, and encouragement from dear friends in our community, and especially in looking on in awe at my learning-to-walk-ten-month-old-son.

Thanks for the inspiration, my brave little boy.

34 comments:

  1. Awe, beautiful post, Heather. It's amazing who inspires us, isn't it? I'll keep you in my prayers, sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marcy! Your prayers mean a lot :) And you're so right! Never would have thought that a small child could teach me as much as I've learned in the past ten months!!! So good talking with you tonight!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I love the way God uses our children to speak to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kelly. You're so right. It's amazing how He uses them, isn't it?

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. Oh, I love this. Our children have so much to teach us...blessings to you and your sweet boy! Happy Friday, friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, thank you for your sweet words! You're a blessing, and happy Friday (now Saturday) to you too!

      Delete
  5. Awwwww! This made me smile! This parenting gig, this Mommyhood, is just one foot in front of the other a lot of the time..always learning, always trusting....there's always something needing some amount of bravery.....
    Excited to get to know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fiona! I love your way of putting it. So beautiful. Excited to get to know you too, new friend!!

      Delete
  6. Oh how I love that you've shared these precious first steps of your little man with us today and so beautifully compared them to our first steps. Brave indeed. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy! Thanks for stopping by and for your encouragement. I'm sure I have many 'first steps' in motherhood to keep looking forward to!

      Delete
  7. Some of the most powerful things we will ever learn about ourselves AND about God will be taught to us by our Littles while they are unaware! What an exciting (and exhausting) season you are in - full of change and new and necessary Braveness! You've got it Mama - just follow his lead- one step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty amazing, aren't they? Those little teachers :) Thank you for your sweet words of solidarity and encouragement, Karrilee! You're wonderful!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing such a sweet moment of you baby's first step with us along with a valuable lesson I needed to hear. We often thing of bravery is for the big events in life when really it is for each and everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome for sharing, and thank you so, so much for stopping by, Amy. I loved what you said here about bravery being for each and every day (in the little things too). You're so right!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad we get to observe baby steps in little ones, since we don't remember our own. It reminds me that sometimes I'm taking spiritual baby steps, barely making it, being brave, and still in need of guidance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you Amanda, on the spiritual baby steps and in need of guidance! Glad we're in this together!

      Delete
  10. Wow, I feel emotion welling up in me at the end of your text there, Heather. I am continually reminded that children can be our best teachers sometimes, and I think it's wonderful that you've allowed God to use your son to teach you about bravery and inspire it in your own life.

    Speaking of inspiration...after seeing your Five Minute Friday post, I was so intrigued that I decided to give it a go myself. I had a ball! Gave you a shout-out in my post, in fact. Feel free to drop by and check it out if you like: http://www.thinkingcloset.com/2013/05/03/five-minute-friday-brave/

    Best,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how much your words mean, Lauren! Haven't had a chance to write back from your recent comment, but I'm so excited that we have found one another. Thank you for stopping by again, and I can't wait to get to know each other better, my blogging soul sister ;)

      P.S. SO proud of you for being 'brave' and joining in for Five Minute Friday. It's a wonderful community and a great writing exercise (as I'm sure you found!).

      Delete
  11. I love, love, LOVE this! How wonderful that your little one is growing and inspiring you. There are many lessons around us and you've opened your eyes to see them. This is rare and a blessing to read. Thank you for sharing.

    I've also just linked up with Five Minute Friday. This is an amazing way to end the week and I'm so glad I found your post.

    http://beauty-from-dust.blogspot.com/2013/05/five-minute-fridaybrave.html

    Have a wonderful weekend. Thanks again for sharing!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenna, thank you so much! I felt really vulnerable putting these thoughts out there (not so much about my son, but about my own tentative and shaky steps), so it is very encouraging to hear that these words blessed you. So glad to be connected with you, and looking forward to stopping by your blog to read your words!

      Delete
  12. Dear Heather
    I am the mother of a 23 and a 21 year old boys. I assure you that I am still admire their bravery with every new milestone in life they achieve. It is so like that first step and first word.
    Blessings from FMF
    MIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so exciting that we get to feel this excitement and joy for many years to come. There's nothing like it! ;) Thank you for giving me great things to look forward to, Mia! Blessings to you as well!

      Delete
  13. Back in the day when I was still blogging I wrote a similar piece - not so eloquently, but still. Here it is if you're interested....

    http://fluctuatingcertainty.blogspot.com/2005/09/further-lessons-from-emma.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read the post-- eerily similar, but I guess it goes to show that if we get down on our hands and knees and crawl with them, we too can open ourselves to growth. ;) Thanks for sharing your post with me! I really enjoyed your perspective on the same thought!

      Delete
  14. oh STUCK is such a hard place to unfold ourselves from, Heather ... thanks for showing us that yes we can move out and away from what holds us back!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have always wanted a boy in addition to my girl. Thank you for sharing. Sweet mama, God will bless your faith and sweet boy. Beautiful sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet blessings to you and your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's to the bravery; everpresent, within you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love how your sons bravery inspired you to take your own steps of bravery. Beautiful! Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So lovely... And you know what else I think is brave? That you took the time to listen to God in the footfalls of your tiny boy and hear His voice in the pitter patter of his feet... You got this girl, cause God's got you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that God uses our children to teach us, beautiful post!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this today! I loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete