March 15, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Rest

Today I'm joining Lisa-Jo Baker for Five Minute Friday, where we write for five minutes flat and join in a chorus of raw, honest writing around her one-word prompts. Today, we write about 'rest.' Will you join us? Head on over to Lisa-Jo's blog and link-up! **Char, I'm looking at you!!! You need to try it this week!**

GO


I love mornings with my little boy. Coffee is brewed while I put him in his highchair and we chatter through the preparation of our breakfasts. He keeps me on my toes as I airplane the spoon towards his mouth and try to get him to eat as much as possible before he is ready to be down and playing again. While I sit in a rocking chair and sip on my coffee, sunlight comes in the window from behind me, and Emmett rolls and crawls and pulls and pushes and reads and climbs and laughs around the living room and I brace myself for the day ahead of us. We play hard for a long while, until I start to see those eyes getting heavy.

He fights sleep. I scoop him up and rock him a little bit. I give him a bottle while I stroke his hair and coax him towards napping with a soft prayer or story; the humming of our favorite hymn. He's almost to the point of giving in and suddenly hears the chirp of a bird from outside, the creakings in the floorboards above us as someone moves around and gets ready for their day, etc. I carry him downstairs to our little apartment, and pull him into the nest of quilts on our bed. We look at the colors and textures and patterns of each quilt. I point out my favorite patterns on the quilt made by Neil's grandmother; he loves to play with the yarn that ties together pieces of another quilt that was gifted to us as a wedding present. We play peek-a-boo and he giggles as I tickle him. Those tired eyes just won't give up.

Finally, at some point, he'll curl up like a little cat, cozy and nuzzled against me, and I just stay there with him. They say 'sleep when baby sleeps, rest when baby rests.' As much as our lack of recent sleep leaves me relatively exhausted, I cannot fall asleep in those late morning naps. There is something peaceful, quiet, beautiful about watching the rise and fall of his little chest and staring at his soft little cheeks, rosy with warmth and perfect for little kisses. There is a filling up for me in lying there, thinking about how lucky I am that I get to love this little boy for the rest of my life. And that gives me the rest I need in the quiet before he awakes once more.



STOP

14 comments:

  1. Watching a sleeping baby is just one of the best things in life, isn't it? Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful post. I feel like i'm there drinking coffee with you. What a sweet picture this is. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing better than those stolen kisses from a sleeping baby! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved watching my babies sleep and even though my baby will be four in a few days, I still love the look on his face when he nods off. All of my kids sleeping, actually. And not just because that means mommy time but because it reminds me of when they were just teenies, sleeping softly just like your little guy. Absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like this is a picture of my own life! Motherhood is suck a wonderful thing, especially when you're the mother of spirited young boys!

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even when they grow up we get to love them for the rest of their lives. My baby boy just turned 22, graduated college, and married all within 6 months. What a sweet perfect rest to know he is happy and leading a great life! Sweet perfect rest for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh I miss those times of holding a sleeping baby! Looking forward to our first grandbaby in the fall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just gorgeous Heather. What a blessing to share in the quiet and sunshine and warmth of a love so big it's hard to explain yet relatable to so many. :) Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so miss my babies (now 20 & 24 years old) being little enough to cuddle with as they fight sleep. Thank you for this wonderful picture of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are just as beautiful to watch sleep when they are grown! :) Beautiful words you've shared and a precious picture. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always LOVED baby rest, cuddling and loving and then placing them in a soft warm bed. The challenge was always "do I rest too or begin the chore list?"
    Usually my own rest came too then we both woke up feeling more awake for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally understand the feeling of thinking I should sleep but watching as Hope sleeps so peacefully next to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, sweet friend, that is rest for your heart. Enjoy it all! So glad you came by earlier!

    ReplyDelete