December 10, 2012

What happened to our child?!

Well, friends, I've hesitated to write this post for the past week or two, because I was afraid I would jinx myself.

I'm talking about our little boy and how he's getting better day by day. Seriously, it is like he's a different baby.

As I've shared with you all, we've had quite a time with Emmett and his reflux and trying to figure out how to help him through the pain and discomfort he's experienced for most of his little life thus far. About a month ago we found out that he had a cow's milk protein allergy, got him on a probiotic called Culturelle for a month, a new reflux medicine that he takes twice a day, and a formula specifically designed for babies with this allergy (Nutramagen). Well, we think it's been the miraculous combination we've been praying for! Around Thanksgiving, we started to see a little bit of a difference in him sleeping a bit longer and started to be a bit happier (in less pain!). I've been referring to that holiday weekend as the corner, and the time thereafter as the corner turned. We've seen quite the change.

My husband and I keep looking at each other (and sometimes straight at Emmett) and saying, 'Where did Emmett Lee go?' or 'What happened to our little boy?' It's that drastic of a change. When he's happy, he is so incredibly happy. He's been chirping and squealing (loud as can be but hilarious), talking, LAUGHING, and just really really happy! I don't know how else to describe it. For the first five months or so of his life we saw the tiniest glimpses of this side of him but it was probably only about 5-10% of his day (first thing in the morning and at bath time). Now, I'd say we're about 80% of the way there with seeing happy Emmett, much better sleep at night, and fewer reflux symptoms overall.

This past weekend we got a bit off schedule and he's struggling with being fussy due to tiredness, but it's so so so different than when he was fussing and screaming in pain all of the time before.

It's remarkable how much of a difference Emmett's improvements have helped to improve upon my own mood and outlook. Just getting longer stretches of sleep at night makes a great difference, but also being able to play, and laugh, and interact with my child in a really positive way has helped me to feel a lot better too. It can be draining to be around a colicky sick baby and I haven't been the most pleasant person to be around either these past few months, but I think I can honestly say I'm right there with Emmett in feeling like a new person! ;)

Here are a few fun pictures (notice he's smiling much more instead of looking SO stinking serious!) from the past week or so, around the house and at Christmas festivities! A few are from my cell phone so they're not the best quality but I wanted to share anyway.












Thank you all for your prayers for us, and especially for our little guy who is quite the trooper and is now showing his true colors as the HAPPIEST baby around (he just had to break free of all of that pain first!). Definitely keep him in your prayers that this is the real deal. I sure hope it is!

Love and so many smiles and squeals,
Mama Bird

No comments:

Post a Comment