June 23, 2012

The Simple Things: False Alarms and Root Beer Floats...

This week, we had not one, not two, but THREE false alarms that the baby was coming! On Sunday, I was having contractions for a few hours. When they got to be about 4-5 minutes apart I called the doctor on call at the hospital. After describing them, she said that I was experiencing early, or latent, labor. I would know the real contractions were here when they took my breath away or I had to huff and puff to get through them. On Monday for my doctor's appointment, my doctor let me know that I had significantly progressed and the baby was really really really low, and she made the prediction that I would not make it through the week. She said, 'You can make an appointment for next Monday, but I don't think I'm going to see you there!' We were thrilled to hear this, but it definitely made the rest of this week difficult to get through. We've been on edge that everyday could be THE day when we'd get to meet our son. So, the second two false alarms were on Thursday morning and Friday afternoon/evening. Thursday, we thought my water broke, only to head back to the doctor's and find out that it wasn't my water (awkward). Friday evening (hubby's bday!!!), we went for a long walk after dinner and I had really strong, painful contractions from about 5:30pm-12:30am. They started off similar to the ones I experienced on Sunday night, but began to get closer together (2 minutes apart, coming like clockwork) and were so strong I'd have to stop walking to catch my breath. Around 11:00pm we called the hospital and we were told to come in! Sounded like labor! :) We were excited that labor could be starting on my husband's birthday! Well, in the car on the way over, with my husband driving and mother-in-law in the backseat, my contractions started to slow down and decrease in strength. In the maternity triage center, they checked me to see how far along I was (3cm dilated!) before hooking me up to two belts that measured the baby's heartrate and my contractions. Heart rate was great, contractions were still every 2-3 minutes (though less strong than before), and after about an hour and a half of lying there with my husband holding my hand and watching my contractions chart across the screen, the nurse and doctor came back in to check me again. I was still only about 3cm dilated and the contractions weren't getting any stronger. In order to be considered 'true labor,' the contractions would have to continue to come every 3-5 minutes (or closer) AND things would need to be opening up more internally. They weren't. So they told me to go home and take some Benadryl and try to sleep. So, to say the least this week has been full of excitement, a little disappointment, but some good learning experiences as we continue to prepare for the real thing!!! Other things I'm thankful for:

-Size comparisons with food to my growing 37-week belly
Baby>Watermelon


Pizza>Baby (yes we ate that!)
-Fresh flowers that my hubby picked for me from around the yard!!!

-Time with our friends Trent and Natalie. We always have a great time with them, but this week, we shared SO much laughter that we were all crying and rolling on the floor. It feels so good to laugh that hard in the company of good friends :)
-After the 'water breaking' false alarm on Thursday, my husband and I had a decadent day to relax and take care of ourselves. We had awesome burgers at a restaurant called Red Robin, and I had a delicious root beer float. We then went to the mall and spent the afternoon doing laps in the air conditioning (trying to help things along a little bit!). While we were there, I got my hair cut at the JCPenny salon (classy!), and we both got 20 minute massages at a little Chinese massage place (sketchy! but awesome!). Mine was a foot massage. Like I said, a decadent day.
Yum!

Before

After
-We had a nice dinner of bbq chicken, fresh salad, a blackbean salad that my husband's grandmother made, and a red velvet cake that my mother-in-law and I made for my husband's 26th birthday yesterday. Since we weren't sure exactly what would be happening with the baby, we ended up using a mix for the cake, but made a homemade cream cheese frosting (sooo good!). The finished product:


-Thankful for lots of exercise this week. Since we have been hoping that this could be the week, I've gone for 1.5-2 mile walks every day, and the exercise and fresh air around the farm have been good for my soul.
-Thankful for more awesome food today (surprise, surprise haha)... pineapples were on sale at the grocery store for 2/$3 so we bought two. I cut one up this morning and ate about half of it for breakfast and froze the rest to have as a sweet treat this afternoon (oops, ate a whole pineapple in one day!). I also had one of my FAVORITE snacks for lunch which I haven't had for a while... It's super easy and perfect if you have a ripe and ready avocado. Homemade veggie calzones for dinner. Double yum. Pictures of lunch:
Wheat toast, avocado, garlic salt, crushed red pepper flakes...

Voila! Avocado toast. And a d.c. to top it off :)
Soooo, all in all, you could say that this week I'm thankful for lots of food. My amazing husband. And the fact that all of these false alarms MUST mean we're getting closer, and we'll have a better idea of what to expect when the Lord decides it is actually time for our baby to come! What are you thankful for this week??

5 comments:

  1. Heather! This is so exciting! You must be so excited/anxious at every little change in your body! I'm hoping he makes his debut on Thursday... that's my and Paul's anniversary. It's a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Betsy!!! And yes, exactly, anxious/excited with every subtle change or movement haha. Happy early anniversary, and that'd be so sweet if he came on Thurs! :) We'll keep you posted when the real thing happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for your little man either!! Tomorrow??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh I hope so Claire! Haha. Neil and I are SO impatient :) Is tomorrow your prediction?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! How exciting to start following your blog at such a lovely and amazing time for you! And my, that is some pizza! I can't wait to hear the rest of this fantastic story!!

    ReplyDelete