May 19, 2012

The Simple Things: The First Saturday

When I was little, my mom taught me how to keep a gratitude journal to remind myself of all of the blessings God had provided for me in any given day. I've journaled for the past ten years or so, but my times of making these lists of blessings have come in waves. Sometimes when I'm feeling down and I talk to my mom on the phone she'll make me list 5-10 good things in my life before she'll let me hang up. It always works (at pulling me out of the rut, helping me remember the bigger picture, or just bringing a smile to my face again)!
Me and my beautiful mama at sissy's graduation last weekend
 With all of the changes and transitions that my husband and I are walking through right now, I thought it would be a good idea to make a list, at least once a week, of the simple joys that I see and feel around me in our new life. So each Saturday, I'll be sharing with you the pleasures and blessings I've soaked in for the week, starting with this peaceful Saturday afternoon in May.

-Sipping sweet tea on the porch
-Hearing the laughter of my husband and father-in-law from the basement as they paint our little boy's nursery (it's a beautiful minty blue color called 'Sweet Nothings')
Cute little roller! They let me paint a small area so I could feel helpful :)
-Having the chance to write again!
-Dreaming up creative projects now that I am out of work and have the time
-Southern home-cooked meals
-Love poured out from family members providing for some of our needs (a crib, a new mattress for us, a car seat, groceries this week)
-Receiving tons of texts, calls, and even mail from dear friends and family this week to see how we are settling in (the Lord knew what I needed!)
Lily and Buddy sending us some love
-Catching up on sleep-- finally!
-Feeling my son's feet pressing up against my stomach to remind me that he is growing stronger every day
-The sound of all of the birds and cicadas singing on summer (I feel like it's already here in Virginia!)
-Fresh lavender beginning to bloom
-The rolling hillside and beauty of the fresh cut grass on the farm (so excited to find myself nestling into this landscape)
Arick is excited to be here too!

What are you thankful for today?

Love,
Heath

1 comment:

  1. You got our little owl friend! I'm so glad he made it! I love this and I love you!

    ReplyDelete