May 31, 2012

Getting Crafty: Nursing Covers

A few months ago when my husband and I started putting our baby registry together, I came across these really adorable nursing covers at Target and immediately added a few to our registry. (Nursing covers are basically like frontal capes, or short, wide aprons that cover you up while you are feeding). When my husband saw that these were about $30 each he thought they were a little bit ridiculous (just in price) and encouraged me to remove them from the registry so that only important items would be listed. He said, 'Heather, my mom could make those for you and it'd be so much cheaper.' Oh, hello. I forgot that I'd be soon living with the woman who made my wedding dress, is re-upholstering our gliding rocking chair that we found on the side of the road in Massachusetts (score), and has knit us about a bajillion baby sweaters, caps, and booties since she found out we were expecting. You're right, honey! Sounds like an easy project for your mama.

We went to JoAnn's Fabric last week and picked out a yard each of some cute patterned fabrics that were on sale and spent just a few dollars on the 'D-rings' that hold the straps in place/allow you to adjust the fit of the cover around your neck. Last night, my mother-in-law asked me if I wanted to learn how to use the sewing machine and help her with the project. The only experience I'd ever had with a sewing machine was learning how to make straight runs in 6th grade home-ec. We MAY have made small pillows, but I can't quite remember. That's how long it's been since I'd touched a sewing machine. But she sat me down, taught me how to thread it, and basically just got me started. Eventually I was soaring! We used a pattern from a website called 'Bliss Tree' as our inspiration, but we decided not to use the corset boning and chose to make the covers reversible. I'm really happy with how they turned out! I made two, so we basically saved $60 and I now have a new obsession in the making with sewing. Can't wait to find my next project!

Getting started! About to cut my fabric...

Making the neck straps!

Flipping the cover right-side-out after sewing the two pieces together

Ironing to get sharp corners and edges

Sewing the hem, my favorite part :)

Ta-da!

The two finished covers
Hoping to make these craft projects a regular part of this blog. I have some fun ideas that I want to work on before the baby comes, so hopefully I will have time to complete them and post in the next few weeks!

Love,
Mama Bird

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    I just got my sewing machine a few months ago and LOVE when I get the opportunity to use it.

    Let's learn together!!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete